Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Low Carb Asian Style Meatloaf

So, this low carb diet is going surprisingly well. I believe I have come to a place where I have really changed my eating habits for good. Who knows how long I will keep losing weight. It's still coming off at an even pace and I am at 24 pounds today! 

In celebration this this milestone, I thought I would share my dinner with you...

I've never been a fan of the idea of a "meat loaf." The whole thing sounds rather unappetizing--in the same way as boxed "mashed potatoes" or canned "green beans." Well, for some odd reason I found myself standing in the meat section of the grocery store actually wanting to try out a meatloaf. How odd. Now, I obviously omitted the gross parts of a normal meatloaf: ketchup and breadcrumbs. Check out what I came up with instead!




Ingredients:

-2 lbs. ground chuck (stick with 80-90% for moisture)
-2 rashers of bacon, finely diced
-1 tbsp. onion powder
-1 tsp. parsley flakes
-1 tsp. dried chives
-1/2 tsp. ginger
-2 shallots, finely chopped
-2 eggs
-3 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
-3 tbsp. tomato paste
-2 tbsp (or more) Asian sriracha sauce
-1 tsp. sea salt

Preheat oven to 350F. Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Spread mixture into a pie plate or casserole dish. Bake for approximately 1 hour, until done in the center. Remove and cool for about 5 minutes. Serve with your favorite vegetable side (ours is broccoli today).

*Now, at this point you may notice there is a lot of juice and fat immersing the loaf. Yes, please cut it in pieces and lay the pieces on a serving plate or something--and dump out that liquid ASAP like it never happened.  Of course, it's necessary for cooking and we love our moist and tender meat, but don't subject your family to the horrors of over-zealous meat juice.*




No comments:

Post a Comment